Can You Learn to Cook from Online Classes
Do you want to learn different cooking and baking techniques, but you do not have the time to take an in person class? Online cooking classes may be exactly what you are looking for. These classes can be instructor led, with certifications, or they can be self paced classes that you take so you can master new kitchen skills on your own. Whether you are looking to boost your resume, change your job profession, get a better job in the culinary field, or you are simply interested in improving your culinary skills, there's a class.
Free Online Cooking Classes
Free online cooking classes are generally how to pages that teach you how to bake certain dishes. There are no tests, no instructors to go to and ask questions, and everything is at your own pace.
- AZCentral.com - This website has a number of how to cooking and baking articles, from how to zest citrus to how to make potato chips. Each how to item is presented on a webpage, in article format. You get to pick and choose what you want to learn how to do.
- Better Homes and Gardens - Here are a number of wonderful instructional videos. Videos teach basic kitchen skills, tips, and how to bake and cook different types of foods.
- CNN - CNN also have cooking class videos online. These great videos teach people how to grill vegetables, roast a leg of lamb, and more.
- Food Network - Food Network has a lot of great cooking videos. Here you will find tips, techniques, and recipes to try out.
Online Cooking Classes
These cooking classes require payment. Payments are far lower than what you would pay to attend a brick and mortar school. Some classes offer certification and others do not. All of these classes are supported by a chef or instructor for answering questions and providing help.
- Rouxbe Cooking School - No certification offered at the time of writing this article, but the website does mention plans to offer certification classes. Quizzes are provided as well as videos, lessons, and chef support.
- Smart Kitchen - No certification. Basic to advanced classes offered for a monthly fee. Work at your own pace.
- Spork Foods - No certification. Membership fees. Online vegan cooking classes.
Culinary Certification Classes
These are certification classes that you can use to build up your resume and get better employment in the culinary field. Most courses offer a certification. The Southern New Hampshire University course allows you to transfer your course credits towards an associates degree in the culinary arrts.
- Gourmet Cooking Certificate - Penn Foster Career School offers a course that teaches gourmet cooking. Learn all the basics through study guides, textbooks, and DVDs.
- Cooking 101 - CEU certificate. This is a self paced online course that can be completed in 6 months.
- Culinary Arts Test - Certification in culinary arts. Expert Rating offers tests for certification. If you feel that you already have the terminology and skills necessary to pass, you can prove your skills by test taking.
- Cooking Certificate. Taken online at the Southern New Hampshire University. Upon completion of the certificate program, you can transfer credits to their associates culinary program.