Thursday, July 24, 2014

Drying Herbs in the Car

There are many ways to dry freshly picked herbs, but drying them in my car is my favorite method. Cars can get very hot in the summer when the sun is beating down on them. It makes a great oven for drying herbs, without the risk of burning them. When I dry herbs in the car, I don't have to worry about bugs getting into the drying herbs and any bugs that were on the herbs quickly die in the heat. Being a cat owner, cat hair can also be an issue when drying herbs. There is no cat hair in my car. Also, the drying herbs make my car smell great.

My method for drying herbs in the car is simple. I spread newspaper over the seats. I then gather my herbs and spread them out over the newspaper. I crack two of the windows just a tiny bit so that moisture can escape. Finally, I turn the herbs every 4 hours during daylight. I close the car windows and turn them once before going to bed. The next morning, I give them another turn and crack open two windows. I continue this until the herbs are completely dry. They are usually dry in 2 days, but I like to keep this up for three days just to be certain that everything is fully dried.

Years ago, I used to tie herbs in bunches and hang them to dry, but they would collect dust, cat hair,and an occasional spider web. Drying my herbs in the car has given me cleaner herbs to use in my cooking, and the herbs dry quickly without wasting electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment