Saturday, July 18, 2015

How to Write a Long Detailed Blog Post

Writing a long blog post is the same as writing an article. It takes an idea, planning, and time. The best blog posts (and articles) are the ones that are pre-planned and contain a lot of details. They are concise and lack the fluff found in many personal blog posts.

Search engines love long and detailed blog posts. Posts that are over 1,000 words will get a lot of attention in Google. If you can create a quality post that is over 2,000 words, all the better.

I am going to show you my method for writing long blog posts. It is very similar to how I write my non-fiction Kindle books.

Choosing a Topic to Write About


You first begin with an idea about what you want to write. If you are stuck for ideas, do an internet search on your niche and read through other people's articles. You can also go to Google's Adwords or UberSuggest.org and type in your niche or a keyword to find ideas.

Choosing a Title


When you have your idea, it is time to spin it into a title. Some bloggers like to post their titles as a question, such as "How Do I Write a Long Blog Post." You can also use one or a set of popular words used by internet searchers, such as how to, step by step, instructions, guide, best, and tutorial.

Outline Key Headings


When you plan out a non-fiction book, you begin by writing out key headings, or chapters, that you want to cover in your book. You do the same thing with a large blog post.

The key headings, or the key topics, you want to cover can be written as a simple list. For example, my key heading list for this post was:

Intro - state purpose to writing a long post
Choosing a Topic to Write About
Choosing a Title
Outline Key Headings
Research and Fill Out Outline
Write Blog Post
Edit
Adding Images and Video to Your Post
Posting Your Blog Post
Posting the Link to Your Blog Post

Your key heading outline can be changed and rearranged as you begin writing your post. It is not set in stone and if you find that you need to remove or add another key heading, do so.

Research and Fill Out Your Outline


Now that you know what you are going to be writing about, it is time to begin filling out your outline with main points. You may find that you need to do some research at this point or you may already know the subject by heart. Either way, you want to jot down simple words and phrases under each heading so that you don't forget any of the main points you want to cover and so that you have a map to follow when you are writing your blog post.

A Quick Note About Outlines


I hated outlines back in my school days. Teachers complicated the process with Roman numerals and indentions. As a writer, I love outlines. I don't know when this happened, exactly, but I do know that just by writing out my key headings and jotting down my thoughts and research under each, my writing goes much faster and smoother than if I would just write from my head.

Don't bother with any fancy outlining techniques. My outlines look like the following:

Key heading
--point 1
--point 2
----don't forget this
--point 3
Key heading
--point 1
--point 2
----mention this
----mention that

I use dashes to break my outlines down. It's fast, to the point, and easy to scan through.

Write Your Blog Post


When your outline is finished, it is time to begin writing your article. I usually open up another page in TextEdit and, with my outline in sight, I begin writing. I move from point to point. My key headers are like chapters in my post. Under each key header, I write one or more paragraphs covering my key points.

Edit


After writing your post, it is time to give it a read through. You do this to catch spelling errors, typos, and to make sure that the post reads smoothly.

No one, not even the best of writers, can skip this step. If you need help, hire someone to proofread your work. You can also have your computer read the article back to you. On a Mac, simply highlight your article and hit Option and Esc. I use this method to catch many of my mistakes.

Adding Images and Video to Your Post


The general consensus is to add one image for every 200 words. I honestly don't always add that many photos, although it is sometimes nice to break up a long post with both images and a link to a video or two.

The choice is yours, but try to keep your readers in mind when adding images and video. Some people are stuck with satellite internet and, having endured the terrible service of one for almost a full year, I can tell you that most images and videos did not come through.

Don't hog up your reader's bandwidth.

Posting and Linking to Your Blog Post


After you have completed your gorgeous blog post, it is time to click Post and start sharing it with the world. Post your link to Twitter and Google+. Schedule the link to go live at the best, optimal time on your Facebook Page.

Sit back, chug an ice cold lemonade, and begin the process all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment