Potato Cheddar Round Loaf
Makes 1 round loaf.
- 1/4 cup water, room temperature
- 2-1/4 tsp (1 package) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup mashed potatoes (can be made from instant)
- 1/3 cup butter, soft
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups bread flour, about
- In a large bowl, add water and yeast. Stir until the yeast is dissolved and let sit for about 2 minutes. Mix in the milk, eggs, mashed potatoes, butter, sugar, salt, and cheese. Add 2 cups of flour and mix well. Slowly add in the remaining cup of flour until the dough is too thick to mix with a spoon. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and begin to knead it. Add more flour, if necessary, until the dough is soft and not sticky.
- Grease a large bowl. Shape the dough into a ball. Place the dough ball in the bowl and roll it so that the top of the dough is also lightly greased. Cover bowl with wax paper or a clean dish cloth and let sit in a draft free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough inside the bowl and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for about 3 minutes until all the bubbles are pushed out. Shape the dough into a round loaf. Grease a baking sheet and place the round loaf onto it. Cover and let the bread rise a second time for about 45 minutes or until doubled. If desired, brush egg white over the top of the loaf to produce a shiny crust. Bake the bread at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Allow the loaf to cool on a bread rack.