Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Increase Blog Traffic by Increasing Content

There are a number of ways to increase your blog traffic, and one of those ways is by increasing the amount of content you have on your blog.

For example, back in 2008 I was contracted by The New York Times to be an About.com guide for bread baking. It was a brand new section with no previous content. I don't remember how much content I had created when my section went live, but I am certain it was under 30 articles. My page views were extremely low for the first year. I think I was only getting 6,000 to 9,000 page views a month. On the one hand, I expected my page views to be higher because I was a part of the About.com website. On the other hand, though, not many people bake there own breads. By 2011, I was getting over 200,000 page views a month with around 300 recipes and articles in my section. Then it was over 500,000 a month. I could not have gotten that many page views if I wasn't constantly adding new recipes to my section.

Write Posts that Help Readers


My most popular article on bread baking was about how to bake a first loaf of bread. It was a super simple recipe, one that could be easily altered by even a beginner, and it got a ton of reviews. Why? Because it helped people who have never successfully baked a loaf of bread, finally achieve a perfect loaf.

Writing blog posts that help readers is the number one way to gain more traffic. Provide your readers with the information they need so that they can do it themselves.

Write Posts that Answer Questions


On my other blog, KindleMeThis.com (a niche blog for Kindle book writers), my most popular blog is on how to gain Twitter followers. It is a long post that shows book writers how to gain followers easily and without buying ads. The post effectively answers the writer's questions.

PDF Content


Back in 1997 or 1998 (I'll have to go back through the records to find the right year) I ran a homeschooling website. I created PDF worksheets and coloring books that can still be found online today. Those PDFs were downloaded hundreds of thousands of times during the life of the website.

A quick look at Google's Keyword Planner shows me there are about 10,000  searches a month for "PDF download". "Free PDF" gets over 5,000 searches a month. So far, I have only created one PDF worksheet for my Kindle blog (Easiest Way to Write Nonfiction Books with Outline Template), but I am certainly going to add a few more for my readers.

Offer Free Stuff


I have read conflicting opinions on offering free things on your blog posts. From my own experience, I began creating 1 or more posts a week linking to all the free Kindle books related to writing on my Kindle blog. By doing this, I saw an immediate jump in my page views and in my Amazon sales (thank-you).

Some bloggers recommend offering a free ebook in exchange for the reader's email address (list building). They say that this works great and brings in potential readers.

To Put It Simply


Overall, a tried and true method for getting more page views is to create more content. The more content (good content) you have, the more links you will gain from search engines. This increases your opportunity at getting found on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment