Thursday, September 17, 2015

You Can Write Children's Books Review

You Can Write Children's Books (A Writer's Digest Book)
By Tracey E. Dils

Summary

Author Tracey E. Dils tells the reader what she needs to know to write and prepare a children's book for traditional publishing.

Pros

  • Dispels the myth that writing children's books is easy.
  • Gives good book targeting advice.
  • Very easy to read and understand.

Cons

  • Author does not go into plotting children's books as much as I would have liked.
  • Does not go into the actual mechanics of writing a children's or young adult's chapter book.

Personal Thoughts

You Can Write Children's Books is a great book for people who are just gaining an interest in writing and publishing a children's book. It is very easy to understand and the writing style is very friendly.


I was disappointed that there were only small mentions of plotting different children's books since I am a plotting nut.

On the positive side, I did get some great ideas in children's publishing and finished this book with several new ideas for children's books that I added to my work list. I particularly enjoyed the section on writing nonfiction for children.

I recommend this book to anyone who is thinking of writing and publishing a children's book with a traditional publisher. It is not written for Kindle writers, but most of the book can be used by self publishers. Chapters 7 through 9 are about traditional publishing, writing queries and proposals, and formatting a manuscript.

No comments:

Post a Comment