Friday, October 30, 2015

10 Things You Can Write Using a Rhyming Dictionary

A year or so ago, I bought a used rhyming dictionary and, it turns out, it was the best 25 cents I have ever spent. During my down time or when I am in a writing funk, I grab it and start writing stupid slogans, quirky chants, and the worst possible greeting card messages. Ironically, some writers make a living writing this crap, and more power to them. I'll keep my crude rhymes to myself. Mostly.

1. A Rhyming Children's Book


The paper publishing trend has been to stay away from rhyming children's books, but I love them. Rhyming picture books are so much fun to read and they usually have a great rhythm to them. Since traditional publishers haven't been publishing as many of these types of books as I would like, I have turned to buying Kindle children's ebooks to read to my toddler.

2. Witty Bumper Stickers


If there are a few choice words you would like to share with the rest of us, bust out a rhyme and set up an account on Zazzle.com. With Zazzle, you can write and sell your own bumper stickers. Set up a Facebook page and advertise your wit to the world.

3. A Book of Chants


You don't need to be a witch to write a good chant (although it certainly doesn't hurt). You can write religious chants, coaching chants, and inspirational chants to publish in an ebook.

4. Lewd Limericks


It's been at least a decade since I have written a limerick, and, oh my, I forgot how much fun it is!

There was a mean bitch from Nantucket
Who said, one day, to "just fuck it."
So she grabbed a big axe,
Gave her beau a few whacks,
And cleaned up the mess with a bucket.

You can publish an ebook of limericks centered around a main theme, such as 50 Way to Axe Your Lover. You can also have your limericks printed on coffee mugs, t-shirts, and other merchandise.

5. Cheesy Poetry


Goddess bless the cheesy poet! Publish your poetry as an ebook or create your own e-card website.

6. Prayers


Religious prayers are fun to write, especially if you through in a bit of satire. But, seriously, there are books of prayers published for just about every religion: Pagan, Christian, Judaism, Buddhism, and more.

7. Snarky Slogans


People make good money coming up with slogans for businesses. Some of these rhyme and some don't. You can also create slogans for different humanitarian causes and enter into slogan contests.

8. Sappy Greeting Cards


I know two people who write greeting cards professionally, and I have no idea how they manage to get into that sappy frame of mind that makes all the soft hearts go "awww". If you are an emotional basket case, writing for greeting card companies just might be your calling.

9. Write a Rap


Write and perform educational raps for YouTube. You can also write raps about stupid things, like changing diapers or doing the damn dishes. These raps are often popular on YouTube and you can earn an income from your raps through advertising.

10. Picture Quotes


Picture quotes are those things you see all over Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest. You can make your own picture quotes to share on your accounts and gain new popularity (or lose all your friends).

No comments:

Post a Comment