Tuesday, October 13, 2015

8 Unique Ways to Motivate Yourself to Take Daily Walks

Walking


As long as it is not pouring down rain or the temperature are below freezing, I am outside, taking my daily walk.

When I first made a decision to start walking more, I quickly got bored with the idea of just walking. I am one of those people who likes to be productive in my activities. It didn’t take me long to find “excuses” to head out and take my walks.

1. Photography


Photography is my number one reason for taking walks. I write full-time and I am always in need of photographs for my articles. If you visit a few of my posts, you will see them most of my photos are taken of nature while I am on my walks.

Aside from adding photographs to articles, nature photographs can also be sold. Many people earn a little extra money selling their photographs on sites such as Fotolia and iStockphoto.

2. Bird Watching


My mother uses bird watching as an excuse to take walks. She brings along a pair of binoculars and almost always calls me to tell me what birds she saw on her walks.

I am not as good at identifying birds as she is, but I have bought a bird identifying field book for my walks in the spring and summer.

3. Penny Hunting


Sometimes I am stuck walking along the roads and I have found that this is the perfect time to go penny hunting. When there are no photos to be taken, finding a penny or two is the next best thing. Of course I have found more than just a penny or two on my walks, and that is what makes it so great.

I set aside all the change I find and put it towards a lottery ticket. Pennies go straight into the penny jar.

4. Creativity


Walking gives my creativity a huge boost. When I am out walking, I de-stress and I get some time to mull things over. Usually by the time I am finished with my walk, I have a list of ideas for books and articles as well as solutions to what I am currently writing about.

I used to bring a little notebook and pen along on my walks to jot down any ideas I would get. These days I just type my ideas directly into my smartphone and email them to myself. When I get home, I open the emails and cut and paste the ideas into my main idea file.

5. Metal Detector


I had wanted a metal detector for most of my life and two years ago I finally bought one for myself. Now, there are laws you have to obey when using a metal detector and they vary from state to state. You will need to familiarize yourself to federal and state laws before you go mucking about with a metal detector, but once you have an understanding of these laws and know where you are allowed to use your metal detector, the hobby becomes so much fun that you will find yourself walking and putzing for miles. It’s a hobby that can quickly turn into an addiction.

6. Blogging


Blogging can be another huge motivator to get your out and walking. When you are out and about, you will see a lot of things and maybe even talk to different people. These are all things you can blog about. Also, share your weight loss or getting healthier goals with your readers and keep track of your walking distances. You can also share your photographs or bird sighting tallies on your blog.

7. Plant Identification


This is another one of my favorite activities when I am walking on the trails in National State Parks. I take a field guide to plants along with my in the summer and find different plants to identify. I also like to photograph my finds and sometimes write about them, such as in my teaberry article I wrote for HubPages.

8. Collecting Rocks or Shells


I love to collect unusually shaped rocks and, when I am at the beach, I usually come back from my walks with pockets full of shells that have washed up onto the shore. Depending on where you are, there may be rock collecting parks. I visited one of these many years ago and walked away with more rocks than I could actually use. Strangely enough, I still have more of those rocks in my possession.

There is also fossil hunting. My state allows fossil hunting on some of its designated state parks, such as Beltzville. I haven’t actually there, yet, but many people enjoy going to the lake and spending the day collecting fossils. To find out if your state allows fossil hunting, type “fossil hunting [your state]” into the search engine and see what is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment