Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Pros and Cons of Writing Short Kindle Books

Last month I began testing out short Kindle books. I wrote a series of 4 short, 4,000 to 7,000 words, booklets for Kindle under a new pen name. My goal was to test out whether or not these short books actually sell.

For a niche, I did my research and looked into groups of people who would be interested in strictly how-to books without all the fluff. Once I discovered a group of people I could relate to, I chose the subjects of my 4 booklets - all closely related - so that in a future date I could combine the short booklets into a much large book.

I began my research and my writing. With my writing schedule, it took me 3 days to write the books part time - about 3 hours per day. Editing and layout was a breeze, but would the books sell?

Pricing


I priced each of the books at 99 cents and put them up for free for the first 3 days (3 is my lucky number so I work in threes often).

During the free period, I got a lot of downloads, but I still wasn’t sure how those freebies would translate into sales or if I was just wasting my time.

Sales


After the free period, the sales began immediately. In fact, I was floored by the amount of sales the booklets were getting, and I continue to be floored that they sell so well. But are the sales good enough to compete with my books that are selling at $2.99? Almost.

I currently have about 30 books published. All but six of those books are priced at $2.99. The four newest 99 cent books were well thought out, researched, and targeted to a specific audience. I make more money off those booklets than I do with my four least selling $2.99 books. My four best selling $2.99 books make far more monthly income than the four 99 cent books at this time.

Is It Worth the Trouble?


Absolutely. After this little experiment to see if short Kindle books can compete in earnings with longer, $2.99 books, I can see how people are making good money writing booklets and short reports.

Do It In Series


When writing short books, do it in series. The four short books I wrote were all part of one series. The other two short books are not, and the series books greatly outsell the stand-alones. Also, when you write a series of short books, you can plan, as I am, to one day put all the short books together into one large bundle and sell them at a higher price.

No comments:

Post a Comment