Saturday, October 24, 2015

The 5 Benefits of Writing Every Day

I have read up on the benefits of writing every day and a few claims that writing every day can be too stressful for a blooming writer. The thing is, I do write every day, even if it is just a thousand words or the outline for another book. I can’t imagine spending a day not writing or doing something related to writing.

1. Improves Writing Skills


The more you write, the more your writing improves. That is a fact that can’t be disputed.

I can look back at the stuff I wrote and published online back in 1997 and see that my writing has improved over the years. Heck, if I really wanted to torture myself, I’d pull out my notebooks full of teenage poetry and see how much my writing has changed, but I am not that brave.

Some people say that just spending 15 minutes on writing each day will help your writing skills. I opt for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. In 30 minutes, you can write a blog post or begin a book outline or do research for an article (research requires writing notes and that counts as writing). It doesn’t matter if you spend your writing time composing haikus or writing a love letter, just set aside time to write every day.

2. Increases Your Word Counts


The more you write, the faster you get your words out. What used to take my an hour to write, I can not do in 30 minutes or less. This is only because I write every single day.

Years ago, I used to write everything out on paper and then type and edit the article. It was a slow method for me, although other people love this method. When I was finally hired in by The New York Times to write for About.com, I started typing everything directly onto my computer. I had to remember the correct finger placement on the keyboard and from there I began typing faster and faster every day. These days my fingers have a mind of their own and type away at lightning speeds.

When you write every day, you will get faster at writing. Instead of typing 500 words an hour, you will be able to get 1,000 words or more an hour - perfect length for an article or blog post.

3. Turns Writing Into a Habit


When you first start out on the mission to write every day, it will, on some days, feel like a chore. You might not want to do it on certain days and you might come up with a zillion other things you need to do that don’t involve writing. Push all of that aside.

Force yourself to write every day. Do it no matter what. Create a writing schedule and keep to it. In time, writing every day becomes a habit. Eventually, it may even become an addiction.

4. Removes Stress


Deadlines are stressful, but writing is not. Dumping out all my thoughts and worries onto the screen gives me time to contemplate what is bothering me. I can go back to my writing the next day and see a solution to my problem or wonder why the heck I was so worried over something so trivial.

Writing gets all the crap out of your head.

5. It Can Earn You Money


Yes! The great news about writing is that it can earn you money. Even if you decide to dedicate only 30 minutes to writing each day, you can use that time to write a blog post. Dedicate 1 or more hours per day to writing, and you are well on your way to writing a Kindle book.

Writing is not pointless. In fact, if you are going to dedicate time each day to writing, you may as well try your hand at earning money from your work. When you start to see the money come in, you will be hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment