Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Only Hack You Will Ever Need to Avoid Writer’s Block

Writer’s block can be a frustrating and even humiliating experience for writers new and old. There are people who have suffered through writer’s block more times than they care to count. Still, others have never experienced it and go on to deny its very existence.

Whether you have suffered from writer’s block or not, this is the only trick you need to make sure that you always have a steady flow of ideas.

Keep a Notebook of Ideas


That’s it.

I have a collection of “Fat Lil’ Notebooks” that I bought specifically for jotting down my ideas and title ideas. The notebooks go back over 2 decades, so I am never without an idea on what to write about.

Fill It When the Going’s Good


Have you ever had one of those days where the ideas seem to hit you faster than you can write them down? Take advantage of those days and begin jotting down every book and article idea you have. Keep them in your notebook and, later on, make a second copy of them in a computer file.

I find that when I am coping my ideas into TextEdit, I come up with even more ideas and expansions on post ideas that can be turned into a series of posts.

Write Down Title Ideas


I like to think in descriptive titles for my nonfiction ideas. This means that if I have an idea for a post about the only trick needed for avoiding writer’s block, I will write the idea down as a title: The Only Hack You Will Ever Need to Avoid Writer’s Block. If I need to expand on the idea, I might write it out like this:

The Only Hack You Will Ever Need to Avoid Writer’s Block
  -keep a list

Again, that’s it.

Try It


Get yourself a small notebook and begin carrying it around with you everywhere you go. Jot down ideas whenever you get them. If you are in need of ideas to add to your notebook, head over to the library and begin checking out the books that interest you. Take a long walk and jot down anything that comes to mind. It doesn’t matter how you get your inspirations, as long as you make that list.

Now, whenever you feel depleted of any ideas, just turn to your notebook. Flip through it, add more thoughts to it, and grab an idea out of it to begin working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment