Monday, November 30, 2015

How to Create a Simple Nonfiction eBook Outline

Every writer has an outlining method that works for her or him. Some writers swear by mind mapping software and other writers use pen and paper to plan out their books. I use Text Edit on my Mac. Text Edit is just a simple word processor program with fewer bells and whistles than MS Word. And word processor program will work.

Basic Outline Layout


When planning out your nonfiction ebook, you will need a comprehensive outline. Here is my most basic outline structure:

Title
By Author

Introduction
-What this ebook is about.
-How this ebook benefits the reader.

Chapters 1 thru ? Subject of chapter.
-Overview of what this chapter is about.
-Meat of the subject.
-Conclusion of the chapter.

Conclusion
-Recap of the benefits or steps mentioned in the book.

Bibliography or Recommended Resources

Other Books by Author

Chapter Titles


While researching the topic you will be writing on, you should be able to come up with the names of your chapters. For instance, if I was going to write a book about bread baking, I could list my chapters as: Tools for Baking Yeast Bread, Flours Used in Bread Baking, Bread Baking Techniques, White Bread Recipes, Grain Bread Recipes, Holiday Bread Recipes, International Bread Recipes. With this basic list of chapters, I can begin to fill in and alter my outline. It would then look like this:

Baking Yeast Bread
By Author

Introduction to Bread Baking
-What this ebook is about.
-How this ebook benefits the reader.

Chapter 1 Tools for Baking Yeast Bread
-Overview of what this chapter is about.
-Basic Bread Baking Tools
-Tools to Try Out
-Conclusion of the chapter.

Chapter 2 Flours Used in Bread Baking
-Overview of what this chapter is about.
-Meat of the subject.
-Conclusion of the chapter.

Chapter 3 Bread Baking Techniques
-Overview of what this chapter is about.
-Meat of the subject.
-Conclusion of the chapter.

Chapter 4 White Bread Recipes
-Recipes

Chapter 5 Grain Bread Recipes
-Recipes

Chapter 6 Holiday Bread Recipes
-Recipes

Chapter 7 International Bread Recipes
-Recipes

The Benefits of Baking Bread
-Saving Money
-Family Traditions
-Healthy Ingredients
-Starting a Home Bakery

Bibliography or Recommended Resources

Other Books by Author


Notice that as I filled in the chapter titles, I was also able to begin adding sub-topics under the chapters. If I were to continue my research, the outline would become fuller and, before long, I would have an entire blueprint of my ebook filled with notes.


No fancy software is needed to create a nonfiction book outline. Just divide and conquer your book subject into chapters and subtopics, and you are all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment