Friday, November 20, 2015

How to Write a Nonfiction Book in 24 Hours - Step by Step

The first thing you need to know about writing a non-fiction book in 24 hours is that these hours are divided up into days. For example, you can write your book for 8 hours a day for 3 days or you can work on your book for 4 hours a day for 6 days. If you’re nuts, you can work for 12 hours over two days and experience the wonderful thrill of a burnout. The choice is yours on how you divide the hours, but you CAN write a book in just 24 hours. Here’s how.

Hour 1 - Find a Topic


For this blog post, I am going to go through the actions of writing a book in 24 hours so that I can better explain the process to you.

Step 1: Find topics that interest you. I like business, self-improvement, and self-reliance, so I am going to visit a few of my favorite websites on these topics and see what articles they have up.

Step 2: Make a list of ideas.

Step 3: To get a better idea on how well your book ideas will sell, go to Amazon.com and search for books similar to your topics. Make note on how well these books are selling.

Step 4: Sign into Google AdWords Keyword Planner. Do a search on keywords related to the topics on your list. See what has the highest monthly searches and make a list of the words and phrases people use to search for these topics.

Step 5: Choose your final idea.

Step 6: Make a list of potential titles for your book. Search Amazon.com for these titles and remove any titles that are already in use. Choose one title from those remaining on the list.

Note: I did all of this in 28 minutes and 1 second, but I have also been writing Kindle books for about 2 years. If it takes you longer than an hour to do all this, that is fine. You will get faster in time.

Hours 2 - 6 - Research


I chose a subject that interests me greatly, but I know little about the subject. When I am writing about something I know, I usually begin naming the chapters of my books and adding notes to each chapter. For the sake of fairness to my readers, I chose a topic that I can’t break down into chapters until after I do some research.

I am now setting my Apimac Timer for 5 hours and beginning my research.

Note: I used all of the allotted hours to research my book. Depending on your subject and how well you know it, you may use less or even exceed these hours.

Hours 7 - 8 - Outline


After you’ve done your research and taken your notes, it is time to organize your notes into an outline.  Cut, paste, and rewrite your notes into chapters. Name the chapters.

This step normally doesn’t take me that long because the research is done and I am merely organizing notes into chapters - putting everything into place. Occasionally I will find that I need to look up or double check a fact, but it doesn’t take longer than a minute or two.

Hours 9 - 20 - Writing


If you’ve done the research and the outline, writing the book becomes the easy part. You already have all the facts written. Now you just have to add your personality to the text. Add your personal thoughts and experiences to the mix.

With all your notes in place, typing 1,000+ words an hour should be a breeze

Hours 21 - 24 - Editing and Cover Design


After you’ve finished writing your book, it is time to edit it. Reread your book out loud and correct any mistakes you find. Reword sentences and entire paragraphs. Make sure you’ve answered all possible questions related to your subject.

Design your cover. If you have no desire to design your own cover, order a cover from one of the many Kindle cover designers available online immediately after you’ve decided on the name of your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment