Tuesday, November 17, 2015

How Writers are Making Money Online

Every day more and more people are deciding to start writing and make money online. When they hit the search engines to find out how to make money online they run into a lot of outdated information and many, many scams.

There are many ways to make a little money online and there are a few ways to make a lot of money online. I know because I have been writing online since around 1997/1998 when I started my first website and began writing for other websites, many of which are now defunct, gone, and vanished.

Almost 20 years later and I am still writing online and I am doing it full-time. I am going to share with you everything that I currently know about writing and making money online in this one post. Ready?

1. About.com - Earnings = Medium


In 2008, I was hired by the New York Times to write for the bread baking section of About.com. I am still there at http://breadbaking.about.com. Back then, the earnings were very good. The earnings have dropped in recent times, but the amount exceeds what can be made on most content mills. If you are looking for a part-time income keep watch for the latest writing positions available at: http://experts.about.com.

Monthly payment is by check or direct deposit.

2. HubPages - Earnings = Low to Medium


I’ve written for the others, from eHow (now owned by Demand Studios) to Squidoo (gone), but HubPages is the only remaining content mill where there is still activity and you can still earn some money.

It doesn’t take much effort to get set up on HubPages and for you to start writing and publishing articles. It is a good springboard for people who are new to writing and it will teach you how to compose good online content.

The earnings are generally low. If you write a few articles that go viral and bring in good monthly traffic, you can earn a few extra hundred dollars a month. Some people claim that they earn more on HubPages than on their blogs and some claim the opposite. Personally, I earn more money blogging, but, again, HubPages was a good springboard for me years ago and, so far, the environment has been relatively stable.

Monthly payment is through PayPal.

3. Demand Studios - Earnings = Low to Medium


I wrote for Demand Studios for awhile and I walked away from the experience rather bitter. At this time, writers earn $11.50 for a short, 250 word article and $25 for a longer, 450 word article. The money is good when they actually have articles available that you can write. There have been many months where there were no articles available and available work is often sporadic.

Then there is the issue of the editors. Yes, there are a few good editors working for Demand Studios, but all you need is one asshole to ruin your earnings. Writers get one chance to rewrite an article. If the editor doesn’t approve your final edits, you get a mark against you and no money for the work. Too many marks and Demand Studios will drop you. If a writer complains or contradicts an editor, Demand Studios will drop you. As a writer, you shut up and do what you are told and if the editor wants you to put inaccurate information in an article, you have to decide on whether you want your name on a crappy article or if you are going to let the article expire so that no naughty points are added against you.

High stress job and not recommended. Payments are sent out twice a week to PayPal.

4. Fiverr.com - Earnings = Low


Yeah, I’ve heard about people making a living on Fiverr.com, too. Guess what? They aren’t doing anything that takes longer than 30 minutes to complete. On Fiverr.com, you offer a service for $5. Fiverr.com claims $1 from your sale and you earn a whopping total of $4 for your work. This is great news for people who are writing names in the sand, photographing the image, and selling them to buyers, but what does this mean for writers? Honestly, not a whole heck of a lot. Check out the site, see what other writers are trying to sell, and decide if Fiverr.com is right for you.

Payments are made through PayPal.

5. Amazon Affiliate Program - Earnings = Depends


The first affiliate program I joined was Amazon’s affiliate program. It was for my first website and the earnings were fracking awesome. When y2k hit, my sales took a major dive. With my new blogs, I’ve been building up my sales once again, but nothing is quite as beautiful as it was back in those early years.

I focus on linking to books, but many Amazon affiliates say that the best way to earn money via Amazon is by writing about and linking to high priced items.

Monthly payments are by direct deposit.

6. AdSense - Earnings = Depends


I joined AdSense many years ago for my first website and have used them ever since. I use my account for my blogs, including Blogger.com. I have found that AdSense works with some topics and not at all with other topics. My first website was an earth spiritual website and I got very few clicks. This blog is a writers blog and the clicks are pretty good. My research shows that health and medical blogs get even better clicks. So, the amount of money you can make on AdSense depends on your niche as well as where you place the ads.

Monthly payments are by direct deposit.

7. Kindle Books - Earnings = Medium to High


My top earner is publishing books on Amazon.com’s Kindle platform. In fact, I’ve been going full-time with writing and publishing Kindle books and I’ve been treating everything else like a part-time job.

The amount of money you can earn on Amazon.com depends on what you write about, how well it is written, your pricing, and your book covers (yes, covers sell books). The major downfall with publishing Kindle books is that it takes time to find that perfect niche where you are selling enough books to earn a full-time income, and once you find that sweet spot, you need to keep on writing to meet and exceed your earning expectations.

Monthly payments are by direct deposit.

8. Blogging - Earnings = Depends


I’ve already touched on blogging with AdSense and the Amazon affiliate program, but there are other affiliates you can test out when you run your own blog.

LinkShare - Sign up and choose affiliate offers that are related to your niche. I have earned some money through the LinkShare program and I have no complaints.

CJ.com - Again, when you sign up for this site, you can choose through a number of affiliate offers that are related to your niche.

ClickBank - A popular affiliate program for many. People claim that they make a lot of money adding ClickBank links to their content. I haven’t made any sales through them, yet, because I have only just started adding a few links to the courses they offer.

If you haven’t started a blog yet, you really need to get on the ball and find a niche that you enjoy. Write, write, write, and after 6 months of madness, you can cool your heels to just one blog post a day.

Diversity


The most important lesson I’ve learned from all these years of writing online is that it is best to create incomes from multiple sources. You should also focus on incomes that are passive incomes. For example, after you have written and published your Kindle book, the money you make from that book month after month is passive income. The same with writing for HubPages or your own blog - your articles and posts keep on earning you money.

Also, when you build an income from multiple sources, you are safe for those times when one source doesn’t earn enough or when a content mill goes under.

No comments:

Post a Comment