Monday, December 21, 2015

10 Wrong Ways to Write the Introduction to Your Kindle Book

A poorly planned and written introduction will drive potential readers away. These are the 10 ways you can scare off readers with just your introduction.

1. “Thank-you for Buying This Book”


Someone, somewhere along the way, told Kindle writers to begin their introductions with “Thank-you for buying this book.” Please don’t do it. I read at least a dozen Kindle books a week and over half of the non-fiction books thank me for buying their book. It’s redundant and just silly to say.

2. Making It Too Long


An introduction is just that: an intro. Keep introductions short and to the point.

3. Talking Too Much About Yourself


Sometimes I am so crabby that I just don’t care to read about your personal life story. Keep your personal story down to one to two paragraphs.

4. TMI


Please don’t get too personal. There is such a thing as “too much information”.

5. No Hook


The first thing your readers see when they open your book or Kindle book is the introduction. This is your first chance to grab hold of the reader and pull her or him into the rest of your book. Without a hook, the reader has no reason to continue on.

6. No Benefits


Include benefits in your introduction. Draw the reader past that first sentence with a hook and tell her or him what benefits they will get if they continue to read your book.

7. Make a Bad First Impression


Put your best foot. Avoid using multiple curse words in your introduction. While I don’t mind a few curse words, too many are just too much. Don’t sound trite or angry at the world, unless that is the theme of your book (Trite Angry Twats United).

8. Spelling Errors


Edit your book at least 3 times. Edit your introduction even more. Spelling and grammatical errors in the introduction speak of the quality of the rest of the book. When I see multiple errors in the introduction, I return the book immediately. I know it’s not getting any better than the introduction.

9. Write Your Introduction First


Save writing your introductions for last, after you have finished writing your book. I do the same with my blog posts because I really don’t know everything I will be covering in the rest of the post until after I write it.

10. “Keep Reading for My Super Duper Secret Method”


Out with it. Telling me to keep reading to learn the secret anything just ticks me off. I don’t want the hype and neither do other readers. Tell me what your method is and, if it sounds interesting, I’ll keep reading to learn more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment