Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Do Something About Your Writer Procrastination

We all have our excuses to not work on our books, and they can range from having to do the laundry to writer’s block. Here are ten of the most common ways writers fall into procrastination.

1. You Don’t Want to Sit for Long Periods of Time


You don’t have to sit to write. Many writers stand and write. They find the experience more active and feel that they are more creative if they stand while writing. If you’ve never tried it before, take an hour and write standing up.

2. You Don’t Have Enough Time to Write


You and me both. The trick to finding time to write is to make time to write. Give yourself a writing schedule, even if it is just for 30 minutes a day, and force yourself to write during that time.

3. I’ll Write a Book Later


Yeah, right. It’s either now or never. If you want to be a writer, then you have to write. There might not be a tomorrow.

4. Someone Stole My Idea


Yes, and he stole that idea from another writer who stole that idea from a movie that was scripted by someone who stole the idea from a play that was written by someone who stole the idea from another writer, and so on. There are new ideas. As writers, we create originality by masking the bare bones of a generic plot with our personal thoughts and insights.

5. I Already Have Too Much to Do


Then get those other projects done and out of the way. Better yet, create a to do list and assign yourself 10 tasks to complete each day. Include writing for an hour in that task list. This way, you will not only get those other things done, you will get your writing done, too.

6. I’m Not in the Mood to Write


Poor baby! Most people get up each day, not in the mood to go to work, so why should the writing profession be any different? You need to force yourself to work and find little tricks that will eventually put you in the mood to write. If you find that you are never in the mood to write, find a different line of work such as making videos or creating online courses (both of which can produce a generous extra income).

7. I Can’t Find the Right Words


I’ve faced this problems many times. To get around these word lapses, I simply type in something close to what I want to say. Later, during edits, I will refine what I’ve written and make the wording more polished and insightful. Never search for “just the right words” when writing a first draft. It will only hold you back.

8. My Kids/Husband/Wife Keep Interrupting Me


Talk to your family and let them know how important writing is to you. Ask them for an hour a day of quiet. While this isn’t possible when you have young children, you can train yourself to work around the interruptions and plan your writing time during naps and even getting up an hour before everyone else to get some work done.

9. I Don’t Know Enough


One of the joys of being a writer is that you are constantly learning. You don’t have to be an expert to write a book based in Victorian times, but you should do a bit of research before you begin writing. If you find that you don’t know something while you are working on your book, type in a string of Xs and some back to that section after your first draft is finished.

10. I’m a Terrible Writer


Writing is just like any other skill: the more you do it, the better you get at it. I groan in agony every time I read something I wrote years ago, but I am able to see that I’ve come a long way since that time simply because I never gave up on my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment