Friday, January 15, 2016

Get Motivated and Start Writing a Book Right Now

Do you have a story that is begging to be written, but you just can’t seem to find the time or motivation to get it started? Here are some great motivators for you to test out and get on your way to getting those words onto paper.

1. Offer Yourself a Reward


Offering yourself little rewards as you write is a great way to get yourself and keep yourself motivated. 

I’ve talked about my Skittle reward system before, where, on those days I don’t feel like writing I will get myself a pack of Skittles and set them on my desk. Then, for every 250 words I type, I allow myself to eat one Skittle. When I reach my daily word count goal, I cap it off by rewarding myself with an episode of one of my favorite shows. Right now, it’s Doc Martin on Netflix.

2. Set Small Goals


Writing a book takes time, and sometimes it can feel like it is going to take forever. Before you even start writing, set small, reachable goals for yourself. A small, easy goal can be 500 to 1,000 words a day. At 500 words a day, you will have 15,000 words done in 30 days. It will take you roughly 4 months to write 60,000 words. If you write 1,000 words a day, 2 months of writing will yield you roughly 60,000 words. That’s about the length of many self published Kindle novels.

3. Create a Support Group


Find people that will support your decision to write a book. They can be friends, family, or join an online writing group. Tell them about your decision and share your writing goals. Turn to them when you need help or just a bit of motivation to buckle down and write.

4. Set Up Alone Time


The trick to motivating yourself to settle down into your work area is to learn to enjoy the alone time. I’ve got a toddler on hand, so I enjoy every second I get alone inside my head.

Plan a writing hour (or more) each day at roughly the same time each day. Look forward to that time.

5. Forget Perfection


As Ernest Hemingway put it, “The first draft of anything is shit.” Expect your first draft to be complete and utter crap. Avoid perfection and avoid all attempts to edit your work as you write it. The first step to writing a great story is to get all the rough out of your head and onto paper or the screen. The polishing up comes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment