Tuesday, January 12, 2016

How Long Does it Take to Write a Book

If you search through all the books available on writing, you will find that many of these books include a writing timeline in their title.

Examples:

But I bet you are wondering if it really is possible to write a book in 24 hours, 3 days, one week, and so on. The answer is: it depends.

Nonfiction or Fiction?


First, are you planning on writing nonfiction or fiction? Short, nonfiction books can be written and publishing on Kindle in as little as a day. Fiction, on the other hand, takes more time and generally requires a higher word count than nonfiction.

Writing Time


Another factor in how long it will take you to write a book is time. How much time do you have to dedicate to writing each day? If you can only dedicate 500 words a day, you will need at least a week to write your nonfiction book. For fiction, plan on spending the next 2 months writing you book.

Of course, if you can dedicate enough time each day to write 1,000+ daily words, you can cut your time down to 3 days for nonfiction and 1 month for fiction.

The more time you can dedicate each day to write and the higher your daily word count, the less time it will take you to write a book.

Personal Goals


To figure out how much time it will take you to write a book, you need to decide on a basic word count for your total book (which can be changed later on), how many words you can type an hour, and how many hours a day or a week you can work on your book.

Example:

Let’s say I want to work on a novel and I want the word count to be, at minimum, 60,000 words.

I can type, at minimum, 1,000 words an hour.

I can dedicate 2 hours a day to my book.

That means I can type in 2,000 words a day (1,000 x 2).

To reach 60,000 words, I must do this for 30 days (60,000 / 2,000).

That is how long it will take me to write my novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment