Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Advantages to Being a Socially Awkward Writer

I am a socially awkward person. If you put me in a gathering of people, I will shrink to the sidelines and commence my people watching hobby. People often think I am giving them dirty looks when I am actually just lost in my thoughts and am unknowingly staring in their direction. Try and pin me into a conversation and, at best, I'll make a geeky reference that you won't get. Talk about an awkward silence.

I suck at one to one communication and I failed every oral report I have ever been dragged and forced to give. My awkwardness leaves me with only one way to really express myself: writing.

I'm Not the Only Awkward One Out Here


Do you hide from a crowd? When forced to interact with other people, do you blurt out stupid shit and have a sudden urge to run and hide in the nearest bathroom? Do people have to literally drag you out of the house to go to social events?

It is difficult being socially awkward, but there is a plus side to it.

Observing Interaction When Everyone Avoids You


As soon as people realize just how awkward you are, 99 times out of a 100 they will avoid you. This gives writers the perfect advantage when it comes to observing humans. For example, at so-and-so's family gatherings, I could sit anywhere I liked and be almost completely ignored. I was invisible (hallelujah!) to these people as they gibbered and squabbled like a gaggle of geese. It was fun to watch and I would jot down bits of their conversations just to see how it looked in writing. It was great practice.

Writers have often been known to eavesdrop on people's conversations. In fact, many writing guides suggest that you do it so that you can improve your dialogue writing skills.

Being Left Alone to Write


The other advantage to being socially awkward is that people will leave you alone if you choose to write on your smart phone or laptop during events. Heck, I see plenty of socially awkward bloggers attend events with their laptops, observing people, and writing about what everyone else is doing.

You Won't Get Too Distracted By Social Media


To the socially awkward, updating social media accounts is a chore and not very enjoyable. And forget about the forums, as well. Every post I have ever made was either invisible or so forced that one or two people were kind enough to take pity on me and post a response. I have no talent at getting people to interact with me, and that is why I never waste time gabbing on Facebook and Twitter.

More Time to Write


Finally, being socially awkward frees me up to do the things I love: playing with my toddler (no social awkwardness there), writing Kindle books, and blogging. With no one calling me to discuss their latest purchases or breakup drama, my time is my own. No added stress, no obligations to listen to someone whine on the phone for an hour, and no party invitations. Thank goodness. Being socially awkward has its benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment